Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Life Lessons from Little Miss Sunshine

I'm a big fan of sarcasm. Sarcasm makes people sound smart and witty. I also appreciate how much disillusionment can occur using pithy and simple observations.

Anyway, I was watching a movie today, Little Miss Sunshine, and this line stuck out:
Sarcasm is the refuge of losers. Sarcasm is losers trying to bring winners down to their level.
I know, the movie was making a point with that quote. Of course, there is a lot that can be learned from losing things in life. A sarcastic comment is an expression of truth, which is healthy. Sarcasm also makes people laugh, which is healthy too.

So, if laughing and the expression of truth are healthy things, why is sarcasm so bad?

I'm glad you asked.

Someone whose teaching I respect very much wrote about why sarcasm isn't always a good thing: anti-sarcasm one and anti-sarcasm two. In short, sarcasm gets old after a while because it identifies problems without identifying solutions. So I've been trying to be less sarcastic about things. Unfortunately, if you know me, you know that it hasn't really been working out too well.

So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.
2 Corinthians 5:16-19 (NIV)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

but...but...i luvs my sarcasm shield.

i think it's healthy to see the situation as it is.

jeff said...

Thanks for the links. Giving up sarcasm is tough, especially when Kelli is your sister. I know for me it is defensive, bitter and resentful, that's why I have it. I don't know why others have it, that's just why I do thus I felt I needed to address it. I am a loser and felt pegged by your quote!

n8 said...

Yeah, I don't always expect the Holy Spirit to convict me of my sinfulness when I'm not looking. You know, I expect to get slapped upside the head when I'm reading scripture or praying, (or when I'm actually committing a sin) but not when I'm watching a movie. I mean, come on God, can I get a break here?! You always gotta be all up in my face and junk.

jeff said...

I hear ya!

Anonymous said...

wait, wait. If the quote is right "Sarcasm is losers tyring to bring winners down to their level..." and Jeff has sarcasm cuz I'm his sister. That means I'm a winner! Yippee!!!